About Scented Candles
Many answers to these Frequently Asked Questions have been provided by The National Candle Association.
To produce scented candles, fragrance oils are blended with candle wax that has been melted to 125°- 160°. once hardened, the fragrance oil becomes integrated as part of the wax.
When the candle is lit, the heat given off from the flame will melt the blended wax and begin to create a liquid pool around the wick. This process will release the fragrance oil and the heat will assist to carry the scent throughout the room. The longer it burns, the larger the pool and the more exposed fragrance oil available.
Since scented candles rely on a contained pool of liquid wax and fragrance oil, the heat that needs to be generated by the wick is greater than would be needed if the candle was unscented. You may notice a slightly larger flame at times due to the “hotter” wick
The first time you light a candle, it is important to allow it to burn at least 3-4 hours to establish a full melt pool. This will ensure even burning and prevent a “tunnel” from forming in the center.
The wisp of smoke you sometimes see when a candle is initially lit is caused by fact that only the wick is burning and the wax hasn’t begun melting yet. This creates incomplete combustion and may take a few minutes for this process to stabilize and then become a steady teardrop flame.
What goes into a Midnight Candle, and why? We use a custom blend of paraffin wax to make our scented candles. Paraffin wax has the ability to hold and throw more fragrance oil than any other type of candle wax. We use only food-grade paraffin that has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as the National Candle Association (NCA). We use generous portions of the highest quality fragrance oils. All oils are phthalates-free and approved for burning in candles by the NCA. We use a pre-waxed wick with a zinc core to ensure wicks remain centered, stable, and burning safely. All wicks are lead-free and non-toxic.
Why is my candle sooting? Soot is a natural byproduct of burning. Whether you are cooking on the stove, burning a fire, or lighting a candle, some soot can be expected. It is not toxic. You can virtually eliminate the amount of soot given off by doing the following: 1) Keep your wick trimmed. Every few hours while burning, extinguish the flame and trim your wick back to ¼ of an inch. 2) Place the candle away from drafts, vents, and air currents.
3) Make sure your wax pool is free of any debris.